APM on Linux?

Hi,

It would be very nice if we can leave the computer on without
consuming too much energy. My computer has a CMOS option to turn the
APM on system (doze, standby, suspend) and harddisk. If I disable the
feature, no problem; but if I enable those features, the computer
locked after some time: no response at the keyboard, dead.

The APM works fine on X11: the monitor will automatically enter
suspend mode after sometime. Hope this feature also works on the whole
system.

What's the best way to set up the BIOS and kernel? Thanks a lot!

Jinsong