RE: APM on Linux?

I'm experiencing the same. On my machine, suspend mode  usually
triggers a lockup after some while. Moreover, crontabs won't run and
the system clock runs slow (well,  not the system clock in BIOS
but the Linux one); I also use the vgetty for faxing and that didn't
work anymore either.

So, I chose to disable suspend in BIOS and only allow the
PC to fall into standby mode. Until now, this works.

BTW, I  have an Asus TX97 with AMD K6-233.
The apm utilities work well, (except for "apm -s" :))

If someone has a solution I'd be happy to learn of it.

Felix