Re: Communicator Installation

At 01:52 PM 12/21/1998 -0600, KTB wrote:
>Hi, I'm trying to install Communicator 4.5 and can't get anywhere.  I
>downloaded the file with Lynx from the netscape ftp site.  The file was
>saved in /root/communicator-v45-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz
>I'm thinking the file shouldn't be in /root when I try to install it,
>maybe it doesn't matter?  I tried moving it with mv 'file name' /usr and
>I get a not valid command, another time I just got the root prompt #
>back.  I do a search "locate communicator" and it still shows the file
>is in /root/ comm....
>I tried to use gzip as the HOWTO page from the netscape site, gzip -dc
>'file name.tar.gz /usr that didn't do anything.  How do I open and
>install this file?
>Thanks,
>Kent

Are you using the Netscape 4 package (from dselect) to install it? That
will probably be your easiest route. It is just the installer, not the
Communicator program itself (because of licensing issues). So with the
package and with the file you downloaded, you should be able to get it
installed. When you run dselect's configure option, it'll tell you where it
expects to find the Communicator file and what type of name it should have
(I think I had to rename my Communicator file, adding a "glibc" or somesuch
in the middle of the name).