TCO on the desktop, NT vs Linux

We all know that Linux saves mega$ in the server environment. However, my
boss brought back the idea from a conference (EDUCAUSE) he attended last
week that Linux costs 3 to 4 times as much as NT in time spent setting up
and getting a desktop computer productive.

I searched the web for info on desktop issues re: NT and Linux, but didn't
find anything but server issues. Does anyone know of any good
ammo/websites/etc that I could research? Thanks.