Debian Hanging on Serial Port config

Hello Debian Land,

Has anyone had a problem with debian hanging when trying to
configure the serial ports?

I was installing Debian 'Hamm' on a third Dell Inspiron Laptop
(the fist two caused no problems) and came across the problem.

I got as far as the initial install from Cd, but when I rebooted
it got as far as configuring the serial ports an then just
hung...

Any ideas why the system would hang.  This laptop was having
problems with the pcmcia card dieing under windowsNT, so I am
woundering if it could be a hardware problem...?
--
John Stevenson, Objective Alliance: www.oa.nl
"Its grip'd, its sorted.."