RE: Why?!

> When I first bought a computer it had Windows 3.0 installed; I
> too disliked it
> and switched to DOS, before moving to Linux a few years ago. When
> I bought a
> laptop recently it had W95 preinstalled and I decided to see what
> it was like. I
> found it actually harder to install things in W95 than in Linux,
> presumably
> because I wasn't used to the W95 approach.  I also found it irritating,
> patronizing, and afflicted by baby-talk ("My Computer"), and as I
> hate computer
> games anyway apart from chess I've deleted the thing.  But it was
> an interesting
> experience to try the alternative.

The thing is that Windows 95 is NOT built to the 'standard linux user'. The
SLU often wants total control, doesn't fear command-line or 'error: 3'
things. Microsoft's way is evident. They wanted cash. So they needed to sell
as many copies as possible. To do that, they needed something even a
'Where's the any key?' user could use. And here's Win9x.

The fact is, now, I don't think that a 'Where's the any key?' user is best
using a Win95 machine instead of a Macintosh, or even Be (although I have
absolutely no experience using it, it looks both powerful, and
user-friendly, with emphasis on user-friendlyness).

So conclusion:

Guys, don't worry. In the next 5 years, will see the fall of Microsoft's
empire.

- Linux and FreeBSD are attacking Microsoft's server plans. Real bad for
WinNT. Eh, why do you think they decided that everyone should use NT? They
needed to improve it's name. They know we're there, and that we'll be a
tough opponent to knock down. They are going to use whatever they can, and
that means brand recognition and marketing power.

- Java is growing stronger and stronger, and more use of Java means less OS
dependancy. Bad for microsoft. Real bad.

- And last, Be and Macintoshes are growing stronger (or coming back, ;) )
and will probably take the newbie users. And these are the ones that really
put Microsoft at what it is with win95.

----
Christian Lavoie
clavoie@enter-net.com