Re: Why?!

On 21 Dec 1998q, Ted Harding wrote:

[snip]

> (I'd like to add that when I first tried Windows I was so revolted by
> the tacky interface and the bland "kiss it better but don't solve the
> problem" MS-Help, that I stuck to DOS as much as possible; even then
> I made up my mind to find something different, without quite knowing what
> I was looking for).

[snip]

When I first bought a computer it had Windows 3.0 installed; I too disliked it
and switched to DOS, before moving to Linux a few years ago. When I bought a
laptop recently it had W95 preinstalled and I decided to see what it was like. I
found it actually harder to install things in W95 than in Linux, presumably
because I wasn't used to the W95 approach.  I also found it irritating,
patronizing, and afflicted by baby-talk ("My Computer"), and as I hate computer
games anyway apart from chess I've deleted the thing.  But it was an interesting
experience to try the alternative.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald