Re: xterm font is W I D E

At 09:43 AM 12/17/1998 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:

>> I've got a couple of boxes running hamm. One has KDE as the wm (excuse me,
>> "environment"), and the other has FVWM. On both of them, when X starts,
>> the default xterm window looks great, but if I open another one, the
>> window is very wide and the font is widely spaced, l i k e  t h i s. I've
>> tried looking for various .rc files and man xterm and the like, but being
>> a newbie, I'm not sure I'd see the setting if it was highlighted in
>> yellow and was waving a flag.
>>
>> Anyone know where I can fix second and third and etc xterm windows to look
>> like my first one?
>
>xterm takes a lot of parameters, you can run several very different
>looking xterms.  The manpages for xterm and X explain it.
>
>For a quick fix, take a look at the command that starts the first
>xterm.  It is probably in .xinitrc if you are starting x from
>a command line.  (xdm users will find it in some other place)
>
>Use the same command with the same parameters for starting more xterms.
>If using a menu - fix the menu so the xterm action has the same
>parameters as the first xterm.  For details on the menu - read the
>docs for whatever window manager you use.
>
>If using the command line - type
>the parameters or set up an alias.  (man/info bash for info on aliases,
>basically: alias xterm="xterm parameter parameter ..."
>
>Helge Hafting

My /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has this line:
	exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0

I went to my good first xterm window and typed in:
	xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
(I also tried "exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0")
and a new xterm window opened up but it made no difference. So apparently
something else is going on. Thanks for trying though.