Re: xterm font is W I D E

Having an xterm with widely-spaced fonts is usually an indication that
you are trying to use a proportional font instead of a fixed-width font.
This can confuse the X server if it can't handle proportional fonts or
the fon't doesn't have the width information necessary.  I don't think
most xterms can handle them, but most try to display them anyway and
take the safe way out to display them by allotting each character a fixed
extra-wide space so the characters won't be drawn overlapping.
   Since the first window looks good, I would suspect you are either setting
a new font as the default in your resources or the font path is being
changed and it can't find the specified font.

Frank