Re: Why is XEmacs better than Emacs?

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 08:05:26AM -0800, Eric House wrote:
> > What advantages does XEmacs have over Emacs (and are there any the other
> > way around)?  I am using emacs at the moment.  Is it worth me changing?
> My experience is the opposite of yours: I started with xemacs and then
> switched to emacs.  My primary reason for doing so was that so many
> more people are using emacs that it's a lot easier to get help, and
> the contributed packages I wanted to use tended to work better with
> emacs.  Emacs is available everywhere, including on my ISP, so my
> (still mimimal) expertise transfers, I can use the same .emacs file
> everywhere, etc.

You can use the same .emacs file everywhere, with XEmacs and GNU emacs
options defined.  I have both flavors of emacs on my machine, and my
.emacs file is setup such that GNU emacs ignores the XEmacs stuff, and
XEmacs ignores the GNU emacs options.  The XEmacs FAQ at
http://xemacs.cs.uiuc.edu/ has info on how to accomplish this.

Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,