Configuring modem and connecting to the net

Hi,

I am a new user to Linux.  I have installed the Debian base system so far.
Part of that involved setting up the Connection configs to connect to my
ISP.  Now, what packages do I require to set up my external modem and what
is the command I execute to connect to the net.  How do I assign the user
(instead of the root) the right to dial up the connection?

Perhaps if you could direct me to some how-to's.  That would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chui Tey