Re: Netscape, samba, power, awe64 ?s

Brian Morgan wrote:

> Having some trouble using debian 2.0.34
>
> 2.      Downloaded netscape from netscape.com, ran ns-install, and now I get an
> error:  "can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'"  I've had this problem in the
> past, on another debian machine, but I don't remember how I solved it.  Any
> suggestions?

You would need the xpm4.7 package under oldlibs for a libc5 version of
Netscape.

> 3.      Any way to turn off power saving mode?  I'd like my screen to stay on at
> all times, but it turns black after 10-20 minutes or so.  (I'm not actually
> sure how long it takes, but it's always off when I leave and come back into
> my office.)  I'd love to be able to show-off all those fancy XWindow
> screensavers!

Check out the xset command.

> 4.      I think someone offered advice on this before, but I'd like some help
> getting an awe64 soundcard to work.  Isn't there something I have to do to
> recompile a the kernel?  Sounds kind of scarey, for a newbie.  Can anyone
> help?

Well, get your copy of the kernel source. Then download the awe32 patch
(available as Debian package). Follow the instructions in the
/usr/src/awe-source (I think...its awe-something). Then go and configure
your kernel. You will also need isapnp for the awe64.

You can take a look at the KERNEL-HOWTO and Sound-HOWTO for more info.
There should also be one for the Awe32 if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu