Re: Configuring modem and connecting to the net

Chui Tey writes:
> I am a new user to Linux.  I have installed the Debian base system so
> far.  Part of that involved setting up the Connection configs to connect
> to my ISP.  Now, what packages do I require to set up my external
> modem...

ppp and pppconfig, which you already have as they are in the base system.
You ran pppconfig once already during the install, but you can run it again
if you want to change anything.

> ...what is the command I execute to connect to the net.

The command to connect is 'pon'.  The command to disconnect is 'poff'.

> How do I assign the user (instead of the root) the right to dial up the
> connection?

Do 'adduser user_name dip' to add user_name to the dip group and
'chmod g+x /etc/chatscripts' to correct a bug in the ppp package.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)