Re: getting to runlevel 3 after X crash?

oliver audiated,

> Unless your /etc/inittab is very different from mine, `telinit 3' will
> have no effect at all.  In Debian, X is not normally dependent on the
> run-level.

> There are two ways to stop xdm.  The simple one is to press Ctrl-R at the

It's not stopping X that's the problem; I can get that accomplished.
The problem is that after X crashes, whether run from xdm or startx, it
corrupts something badly enough that I can't start X without rebooting.

A few weeks ago, it was suggested that dropping to runlevel 3, then
returning to multiuser, might renitialize whatever happens.

>If the screen is still disabled after this, it might be possible to use
>some svgalib program to set it back to a sane state.  However, this is

hmm, that might do it.  Hack the X source (!ack!) to call this function
when instantiating . . . *shudder*

hmm, maybe I better buckle down and try installing the 3.3.3 binary
that I downloaded . . .

thanks

rick