how to check whether everything is installed

I thought that I had successfully installed Debian, but it so happens
that bash replies "command not found" to just about every second command
I type, including such basic things as "make config". Before I lose my
temper, erase everything and start from scratch -

(1) How can I check which packages are and which are not installed on my
system?

(2) In case a particular command is not recognized, how can I find out
what package is needed to make it work?

Additional question: What does "mktimes" mean?

--
birgit kellner
department for indian philosophy