Re: how to check whether everything is installed

Birgit Kellner wrote:
  >(1) How can I check which packages are and which are not installed on my
  >system?

dpkg -l

  >(2) In case a particular command is not recognized, how can I find out
  >what package is needed to make it work?

1. To look for <string> in the list of all _installed_ files:
      dpkg -S <string>

2. To look for a file in the complete list of all Debian packaged files,
download Contents-${ARCH}.gz from <debian-mirror>/dists/<distribution/
and zgrep it for the file you want.

  >Additional question: What does "mktimes" mean?

No idea.

     "But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee
      more and more."                  Psalms 71:14