Re: getting to runlevel 3 after X crash?

"Richard E. Hawkins Esq." wrote:

  >information junky that I am, i set rvplayer running again on friday,
  >and it crashed X another couple of times.  The bad way, so that it
  >can't be restarted ("failure in apmsync()" and the blinkies).
  >
  >This time, I remembered that some had suggested that going to runlevel
  >3 rather than rebooting might solve things (somehow, when X goes down,
  >it corrupts something badly enough that it has the sync problem when it
  >tries to restart).
  >
  >I tried logging in remotely and using "telint 3" as root, but when I
  >came back to my office, it was still in a fit of the blinkies; xdm had
  >not been killed.
  >
  >Do I need to do something more? (killall -9 xdm first??)

Unless your /etc/inittab is very different from mine, `telinit 3' will
have no effect at all.  In Debian, X is not normally dependent on the
run-level.

There are two ways to stop xdm.  The simple one is to press Ctrl-R at the
xdm login screen; the more complicated is to run (as root) the command
`/etc/init.d/xdm stop'.  (I have sometimes had to do this twice.)

If both of these methods fail, try using `ps ax | grep xdm' to identify
the xdm process and `kill -9 process_number' to stop it.

If the screen is still disabled after this, it might be possible to use
some svgalib program to set it back to a sane state.  However, this is
outside my knowledge.

     "But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee
      more and more."                  Psalms 71:14