Re: Configuring scsi controller on ISA bus

Hi David Herbert; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> I am installing the debian version of linux from cd rom.
>
> 	I have an adaptec scsi controller as my 2nd controller, it is an
> AHA-1510. In windows(shhh) I found this info on it,AIC 6x60isa single
> chip scsi controller, using irq 11 and IO range 0340-035F.
> 	I tried to load the kernal from the cd and got an error message that it
> was not configured the install program said to reload the modules.
> 	I found at boot: it had some configuring data at F4 and F5, I tried to
> put in the line about my controller but failed.
> 	Would someone know what I have to do to complete this?
> 	I did not under stand the info that was needed to put this on the
> command line. F5 said
> Adaptec 151x, 152x        aha152x=iobase[,irq[,scsi-id[,reconnect]]]
> also when I tried to access the cd from install program it errored and
> showed
> (maybe 'insmod driver'?)
> 					Thanks for any help you may provide
> 					David

I am no expert, but I have just installed the zip zoom card shipped with
iomega's internal scsi zip drive. This (mine) one is an adaptec based ISA
card with no on-board bios. It is a second scsi card and it is used _only_
for the zip drive, so I use insmod technique. If your disks are on that
card's chain, you have to have it compiled in the kernel. that eliminates
the insmod strategy.
You could try to pass arguments to kernel at boot time by typing (at the
boot:  prompt)
aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

so your whole line would look like:

boot:aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

the above would correspond to your windows-reported config (0340-035F io
range and irq 11).

HTH

damir