Re: dselect-help!!!!!!!

Dear Patrick!

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:00:46 +0100 (CET), pat@patoche.org wrote:
> if you cdrom is on the secondary controller first drive you should mount
> /dev/hdc
> first controller = hda, hdb (first, second drive)
> second controller = hdc, hdd (first, second drive)

That worked ;-)

> they are all probably on /dev/hda
> so your win partition is *probably* /dev/hda1

That too ;-) I installed the standard system already.

> you are installing a dual boot system aren't you ?

Not yet. I still boot from a floppy. I was a bit confused about the
1024 cylinder limit and wanted to avoid that issue at first. The
Win95 fdisk says that I have 760+ cylinders on my 6.4GB disk, but
also that it displays values which are adjusted somehow for some
reason. To me 760+ seems not much for 6.4GB (?).

> how did you partition your disk ?

I'm concerned about my possibly not so clever disk partitions:
1. 800MB fat32
    (still need that, at least for reading the mailing list ;-)
2. 4.4GB extended including 1.1GB fat32 and 2.1GB fat32
3. the remainder is still unpartitioned
No more info from the Win95 fdisk.
From Linux I created 100MB root, 100MB swap, and 1GB usr partitions
which must be in the extended partition but don't show up under
Win95. They are there definitely.

Is it possible to make that root partition in the middle of the hard
drive bootable or shall I forget about it and split the first 800MB
right away?

	Frank.

PS: Until today I was not sure about the distribution I should
choose. Suse and DLD (I'm in Germany) are about to be released...
I tried Debian because I really like the values of the Debian people
(and the other distributions are not yet ready). After the support I
got here on the list, I won't look for anything else than Debian :-)