Re: dselect-help!!!!!!!

Le 10-Dec-98, Frank Gerhardt a pris ses électrons pour écrire:
> Dear Patrice,
>
> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:43:48 -0500, "Patrice Bertrand"
> <pb@sprynet.com> wrote:
>> I have installed Linux on my laptop and i have now to use 'dselect' to
>> install X and others packages.
>
> I'm in exactly in the same situation. Installed it last night. I
> have a Laptop with PCMCIA modem too. After the setup program I was
> absolutely lost. I will probably not be able to help you much, but
> maybe we can share our advances.

If i can help i installed debian twice on my laptop.
once entirely from cds
and recently everything through pcmcia ethernet card.

> I installted via the CD. I selected the "secondary controller/first
> drive" and to my surprise it worked (without mounting). But now that
> the minimal system is installed, I can't find access to the CD any
> more. Which /dev should I mount? Unless I figure that out I can't
> proceed with dselect.

if you cdrom is on the secondary controller first drive you should mount
/dev/hdc
first controller = hda, hdb (first, second drive)
second controller = hdc, hdd (first, second drive)

> Also, I can't see my fat32 partitions although I selected the
> Win95/Long Filenames option during the install. Where are my other
> partitions?

how did you partition your disk ?
they are all probably on /dev/hda
so your win partition is *probably* /dev/hda1
you are installing a dual boot system aren't you ?

>> Problem : i can't find my way and i'm stuck with dselect from the
>> beginning.
>
> Me too.
>
> If someone helps I'm willing to write some documentation (or at
> least participate ;-).

what's the exact problem with dselect ?
its use ? or something else ?

Patrick M.   pat@patoche.org    http://www.patoche.org/
Sysadmin of patoche.org, globenet.org, bde.espci.fr