Re: dselect-help!!!!!!!

On 11-Dec-98, Frank Gerhardt took time to write :

>> you are installing a dual boot system aren't you ?
>
> Not yet. I still boot from a floppy. I was a bit confused about the

you could also boot to dos, and then use loadlin to boot linux.

> 1024 cylinder limit and wanted to avoid that issue at first. The
> Win95 fdisk says that I have 760+ cylinders on my 6.4GB disk, but
> also that it displays values which are adjusted somehow for some
> reason. To me 760+ seems not much for 6.4GB (?).

yeah that's always a problem due to old design of PCs

>> how did you partition your disk ?
>
> I'm concerned about my possibly not so clever disk partitions:
> 1. 800MB fat32
>     (still need that, at least for reading the mailing list ;-)
> 2. 4.4GB extended including 1.1GB fat32 and 2.1GB fat32
> 3. the remainder is still unpartitioned
> No more info from the Win95 fdisk.
> From Linux I created 100MB root, 100MB swap, and 1GB usr partitions
> which must be in the extended partition but don't show up under
> Win95. They are there definitely.

what are the name of the partitions ?
/dev/hda1 should be the 800MB fat32
/dev/hda2 should be the extended (that is 1.1+2.1Gb)
then you should have
/dev/hda5 (first in extended, that is the 1.1Gb one)
/dev/hda6 (second in extended, that is the 2.1gb)
and so on...
(the /dev/hda1 to /dev/hda4 are only primary)

i don't quite understand where you've put your linux partitions

> Is it possible to make that root partition in the middle of the hard
> drive bootable or shall I forget about it and split the first 800MB

as far as i know it should be possible
you will maybe have to put the exact number of cylinders, etc... in your
lilo.conf so that lilo can work correctly
(these numbers appears when you boot in the log messages)