Re: WISHLIST: Let us select a mirror site from a menu or list...

*- Joe Emenaker wrote about "WISHLIST: Let us select a mirror site from a menu or list..."
> It sure would be great (and it sure would take some load off of
> ftp.debian.org) if dselect could ftp a list of mirrors and then let us
> select one.
>
> I like using the mirrors because they're faster and also because I feel good
> knowing I'm helping to lighten the load on "Mother" (ftp.debian.org).
> However, it's kind of a pain to go fetch the mirrors list by hand and then
> enter the info by hand. Also, it looks like some mirrors only carry
> "stable", while others carry the full compliment of distributions.
>
> It would be nice if, when I select that my access method is ftp, I could
> optionally fetch a fresh copy of the mirrors file and then (whether I
> fetched a new copy or not) I would be presented with a list of mirrors, how
> fast they are, and what distributions they mirror. This isn't all that
> different from how the CDDB database system works... and I think that it
> really works slick.
>
> I'd be willing to code this... provided whoever maintains dselect would be
> open to the idea of including it.
>
> - Joe

I think something like this has been discussed on debian-devel.  A
'Package' file format of the mirrors can be found at
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/Mirrors.  You might want to contact the
APT Development Team <deity@lists.debian.org> and offer such help and
see were they stand.  Also you should probably check out the files in
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/apt/.

--
Brian
							   - unknown