WISHLIST: Let us select a mirror site from a menu or list...

It sure would be great (and it sure would take some load off of
ftp.debian.org) if dselect could ftp a list of mirrors and then let us
select one.

I like using the mirrors because they're faster and also because I feel good
knowing I'm helping to lighten the load on "Mother" (ftp.debian.org).
However, it's kind of a pain to go fetch the mirrors list by hand and then
enter the info by hand. Also, it looks like some mirrors only carry
"stable", while others carry the full compliment of distributions.

It would be nice if, when I select that my access method is ftp, I could
optionally fetch a fresh copy of the mirrors file and then (whether I
fetched a new copy or not) I would be presented with a list of mirrors, how
fast they are, and what distributions they mirror. This isn't all that
different from how the CDDB database system works... and I think that it
really works slick.

I'd be willing to code this... provided whoever maintains dselect would be
open to the idea of including it.

- Joe