Re: WISHLIST: Let us select a mirror site from a menu or list...

Joe (and anyone else interested),

Very nice idea, and I have an idea to make it even nicer:  There's
a package called 'netselect' which describes itself thusly:

...netselect determines several facts about all of the hosts given on
the
 command line, much faster you would if you manually tried to use ping
and
 traceroute.  For example, if I type:

         netselect -vv ftp.fceia.unr.edu.ar ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be \
                         ftp.cdrom.com ftp.debian.org ftp.de.debian.org

 It tells me this:

 ftp.fceia.unr.edu.ar                  2792 ms  23 hops  100% ok ( 1/ 1)
[ 9213]
 ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be             9999 ms  30 hops    0% ok
 ftp.cdrom.com                           94 ms   8 hops  100% ok (10/10)
[  169]
 ftp.debian.org                          46 ms  15 hops  100% ok (10/10)
[  115]
 ftp.de.debian.org                     9999 ms  30 hops    0% ok ...

I haven't had time to try it yet, but it sounds too good to ignore
if it works.   So maybe we/you could wrap something around apt/dselect,
netselect, and the mirrors list on the debian web site to make it
really smart.

Just a thought, wish I had time to try it myself right now...