Re: Help with Hard drive error messages

Le 10-Dec-98, Daniel Mashao a pris ses électrons pour écrire:
>> >  hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>>
>> I got these errors after I recompiled the kernel with the option
>> 'Intel 82371 PIIX Triton DMA support'.  I have this chipset but
>> it caused DMA errors and trashed files.
>>
> Thanks Rick. Your observations seems true. I unselected the Triton DMA
> support and so far I have not seen those error messages. Somehow the
> developer of this module ought to know about this problem.
>
> I think it may also have to do with a system that has a SCSI disk. Does
> everyone experiencing this problem have a SCSI disk? I have several Debian
> machines and I only see this problem with machines that have a SCSI disk.

Somewhat related

I've a debian 2.0 kernel 2.0.36 with *no* SCSI disks, and i see the
{DriveReady SeekComplete Error } also
(but not the other one)
i think i have also my kernel with Intel Triton support.
and i have also some stranges memory/disk problems, the system with 64Mo
crashing a lot of mine, and now with only 16Mo, not crashing but
making strange things to disks (like when rebooting, it's stuck at LIL- which i
repaired by booting with floppy and relaunching lilo, but it's strange isn't it
?)

(if someones has a clue...it's a pentium MMX and i got same problemes with
2x32Mo EDO, 1x64Mo SDRAM, 2x32Mo SDRAM)

i will try tomorrow to recompile the kernel without this support, and i'll see
if it's better.

I'll let you know.
Thanks for the idea by the way...

Patrick