Re: SOT: Networking/Inquiry on 3Com 3C905B-TX

On  9 Dec, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> I have been offered twisted-pair (RJ)
> only PCI boards, 3Com 3C905B-TX, which I map tp
> 10Base-Tx, Cyclone B revision, aka `Boomerang',

the B version is supposedly 'cyclone' rather than 'boomerang'.

> Anything I should be aware of?

I have them in all my machines, and they're fine. I've not tried loading
them extremely heavily though. I've heard of them causing kernel panics
when very highly loaded, but have never seen this myself. In fact, I've
never had a problem with them, other than NT making them unusable on a
dual boot machine, until I unplugged the power lead (but that's a PnP
problem, I think).

A lot of people recommend the Intel EtherExpress as an alternative
(similar sort of price round my way too).

--
Graham