configuring sound (easy?)

I'm running 2.0.36 on i386, and have a SoundBlaster AWE 64 plugged into
it, which is unconfigured.

I used to use Red Hat, which came with a rather neat little utility
called soundconfig (I think) that was capable of automatically helping
you install a module for soundblaster compatible cards. It was rather
neat. It loaded the module and put the right DMA/IO bits and pieces in
/etc/conf.modules for you.

I was just wondering if Debian had a similar tool? If not I'd better
dig the Sound HOWTO out and start reading, I suppose :(

Thanks.

--
Graham