Re: Just My 2 Cents

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 12:12:59PM -0800, Keith Beattie wrote:
> I'm getting rather off topic for this thread, but I still think the
> future of software engineering is in building components with
> applications being the integrations of these components.  Exactly
> which form that will take, I'm not sure.  At least I hope this is the
> case, perhaps I'm just dreaming... (O-O, Corba, Tcl/Tk, etc.)

I agree with you, at least based on my experience with Object-Oriented
programming, data abstraction, code modularization, etc.  Many small
one-function components are easier to work with, and are easier to
re-use.  As I see it, this is analogous to classes, templates, and the
like.  Once I code a generic adjacency list for graphs using C++
templates, I can re-use that code in the future.  If I make that heap
only for integers and hide in with a bunch of other crap for one
specific program, it will be that much harder to dig out next time I
need an adjacency list (and harder yet if the list is for strings).

Although I'm totally projecting here, whenever I think about any
Windows source, the first image that pops in my head is one of a huge
pile of messy code, with only a few massive functions, and cheap hacks
to make something work.  Who knows, but that's the impression I get.

<shrug>
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,