kernel 'oops'

I recompiled my kernel (2.0.34...straight from the installation) to add
sound support (NOT as a module), and when I boot to that kernel, I see,
in the rapidly passing stuff, a phrase resembling 'unable
to..(something).. ISOLATE ..(something) and then one 'oops' message in
it's entirety. dmesg immediately thereafter doesn't show the "isolate"
message, but *does* show at least 6 'oops' messages. I don't have the
test of the oops message(s) available on this machine, but I can say
that the kernel I recompiled is significantly (300k) smaller than the
kernel that was installed when I put debian on the machine...why is
that? and where can I go with these oops messages for help?

thanks

jim