Re: g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*

Hello,

> Over the weekend, I downlaoded V 1.20 onto /usr/local/.

Did the same last night.

> I tried compiling it and after finding out that I needed all the OpenGl
> stuff and isntalling that to (V. annoying by the way - had even to edit some
> of the source code to get rid of those probelms)

I left the source as it was, but added some softlinks, like
/usr/include/X11/GL -> /usr/include/GL

> But then I got the make error message:
>
> In vbglcnv.h:51:Invalid storage class specifiers decalared in friend
> functions

Get rid of the word "static" on that line.

> I didn't have a clue what this meant even after viewing the two friend
> functions alluded to.

"storage class" means auto, static, register or extern; there are two
modifiers, const and volatile.

In this case, there's only one storage specifier on the whole line (unless
there's something in macros), so that had to be what it was complaining about
:-)

Getting rid of it fixed the problem. I hope it didn't break anything (but
FREEdraft compiled and ran okay, so I guess not).

> Being naive enough to try anything, and having heard of all sorts of
> problems with egcs and g++, I decided to scrap g++2.8 and put g++2.7.2 on.
> (I had egcs 2.90.29, dated 19980515).

I didn't want to do that, because FREEdraft claimed to use fancy
exception-handling that 2.7.x doesn't grok - and that's why I was getting V.

> (I'm on a HAMM systen still - it took me 4 goes to get a successful upgrade
> from bo to that, so I'm not ready to slink it yet).

slink isn't released yet, anyway.

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>