g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*

Hi,

I am stunningly confused about the whole c and c++ suite thing that's
going on (I'm still in HAMM - it's *not * the __register_frame_info
stuff!).

Here's my story and a plea for a clear explanation of what's what and
what I need to compile kernels, c++ toolkits and stuff.

Over the weekend, I downlaoded V 1.20 onto /usr/local/.  I tried
compiling it and after finding out that I needed all the OpenGl stuff
and isntalling that to (V. annoying by the way - had even to edit some
of the source code to get rid of those probelms), the compile seemed
like it would work.  But then I got the make error message:

In vbglcnv.h:51:Invalid storage class specifiers decalared in friend
functions

I didn't have a clue what this meant even after viewing the two friend
functions alluded to.

Being naive enough to try anything, and having heard of all sorts of
problems with egcs and g++, I decided to scrap g++2.8 and put g++2.7.2
on. (I had egcs 2.90.29, dated 19980515).

Well, of course no end of conflicts came up (had to remove libdbm++ and
stuff), and further more I had to leave some 2.8 thing installed
(libg++2.8? libstdc++2.8? libstdc++2.8-dev?libg++2.8-dev? - can't
remember as at the time I was in a frenzy of confusion).  Eventually I
got the downgrade done, and of course the makefile for v complained
about there being no g++, so I changed the definition in the file to
g++272, and hallelujah! the thing worked. Phew.  What a marathon that
was and how pleased i was myself to have got the v library compiled
after *so many* problems.

Back in the old days, with a 1.2.13 kernel and v 1.14, it was easy!

So, please help me - why couldn't egcs g++ compile v?  Is that version
(like some others it would seem...) broken?  Or is v using some
non-standard c++ shit that breaks on 'modern' compilers?  I suspect egcs
I am afraid but understand nothing. Would upgrading to the version
referred to in the  __register_frame_info FAQ work or what (I'm on a
HAMM systen still - it took me 4 goes to get a successful upgrade from
bo to that, so I'm not ready to slink it yet).

Please help.  I love linux, and debian is the dist. I've chosen (i'm
happy with that), but it just seems there is so much undocumented stuff
that can hgo wrong and it takes a great mental effort and lateral
thinking to get the stuff i want working!

Sorry for the ramble - if you've got this far thanks,

Martin