Re: g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 01:50:48 -0800, Martin Waller wrote:
> I am stunningly confused about the whole c and c++ suite thing that's
> going on (I'm still in HAMM - it's *not * the __register_frame_info
> stuff!).

Read /usr/doc/gcc/README.Debian .

> Being naive enough to try anything, and having heard of all sorts of
> problems with egcs and g++, I decided to scrap g++2.8 and put g++2.7.2 on.
> (I had egcs 2.90.29, dated 19980515).

g++2.7.2 is intended only for compiling code that cannot be compiled with
EGCS gcc. It's not supposed to be easy to install or use.

> So, please help me - why couldn't egcs g++ compile v?  Is that version
> (like some others it would seem...) broken?  Or is v using some
> non-standard c++ shit that breaks on 'modern' compilers?

That's more likely.

> I suspect egcs

EGCS has proven itself to be a very good C++ compiler so far.

> I am afraid but understand nothing. Would upgrading to the version
> referred to in the  __register_frame_info FAQ work or what

You'll need libc6 2.0.7u-7.1 ; older version either have the
__register_frame_info problem, or conflict with essential packages.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking