Re: apropos fails, makewhatis doesn't exist

Carl Fink wrote:

> I'm sending this from a Debian 2.0 system (i386).  Currently I'm
> having only one irritating problem:  apropos fails.  Well, it's
> installed, and it runs, but it replies to *any* query with "Nothing
> appropriate", even "apropos bash" or "apropos ls".

I had this same problem a while ago.  I traced it to naughty man-pages
in the wine-doc package that contained spaces in their names, thus
making man-db barf.  The problem can be solved (temporarily) by finding
all such man pages and deleting/re-naming them, or just by removing the
offending package altogether.

I filed a bug report on this some time ago, but I'm not sure is anything
has happened with it.

--
damon@meta-x.net -- PGP and GPG public keys at http://meta-x.net/keys/