Re: Interesting Problem (PCMCIA ethernet and modem)

Daniel J. Mashao <daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za>:
> After some struggles I was able to install a PCMCIA ethernet card. It is
> working wonderfully. Unfortunately intslling it affected my modem card.
> Now when I dial using the modem it makes a connection but I can no longer
> telnet of ping outside. I changed my /etc/init.d/networks file to the old
> one without eth0 but it did not help. Any ideas?

I would look at your routing table.  ('netstat -nr')  It looks as
if your default route is probably set to use the ethernet interface.
Something like
  route del default
and then
  route add default ppp0
or
  route add default gw your.current.pop.address
might fix it.  Anyway you want to have just one line starting
with '0.0.0.0' in the 'netstat -nr' report.
(The former seems to work, but the latter is what pppd sets up.)

Normally pppd sets up a default route when it has the option
'defaultroute'.  I don't know what is resetting the default
route for your ethernet i/f.  Maybe you can just make whatever
is doing it stop doing it.

Nathan Myers
ncm@cantrip.org