Re: Interesting Problem (PCMCIA ethernet and modem)

>> After some struggles I was able to install a PCMCIA ethernet card. It is
>> working wonderfully. Unfortunately intslling it affected my modem card.
>> Now when I dial using the modem it makes a connection but I can no longer
>> telnet of ping outside. I changed my /etc/init.d/networks file to the old
>> one without eth0 but it did not help. Any ideas?

Check your /etc/pcmcia/config file....there you may need to exclude IRQs
or ports to use.  You may have cardmgr setting your modem to, and using
an IRQ that is being used by other hardware, especially if you have sound
and/or other devices in the machine.  In that file you can tell cardmgr
what IRQs to use, or not use, to avoid that.  You can't specify what it
will use if an when it detects a serial port (modem) but you can juggle
them to avoid conflicts.  If its not already being used, enable it to
use IRQ 5 and see if that doesn't help you out.

paul