Re: Recommendations for Email client?

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jon Burchmore wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I currently use MS Outlook 98 on a Windows PC to read my Email (I get
> about 600-700 messages/day from various mailing lists).  I would *really*
> like to switch over to a Debian-based solution, but I haven't been
> able to find a mail client that supports my needs under Linux:
>
> 1.  IMAP support
> 2.  PGP integration
> 3.  X (preferably gtk) based UI
> 4.  The ability to support multiple mail servers/accounts.
>
> So far I've had the best results with Netscape Communicator's Email client,
> but it frequently craps out when accessing some of my larger folders (12,000+
> messages), and is unable to handle PGP at all.
>
> Outlook, spawn of the devil and all, has some features that I really like.  I
> can open up an Email message fullscreen and skip to the next/previous message
> with a single hotkey (Netscape Communicator does this, other clients such as
> Balsa do not).
>
> I have a grand total of 3 Email accounts (two IMAP and one POP3).  Netscape
> will let me use the two IMAP accounts, but it doesn't allow more than one
> Email account when using POP3.
>
> So, what does everyone here use?  Should I just wait for projects such as
> Balsa or Aeleron to get better?  Should I punt and just use PINE under
> an Xterm?  Is there a way to integrate PGP into Netscape Communicator?
>
> -Jon Burchmore

As has already been mentioned, separating the task into MTA, filtering,
and MUA is a very effective way to go. I personally use smail as the MTA
(though I keep thinking of switching to something else), procmail as the
filter, and pine as the MUA.  IMHO the X requirement is not that necessary
and in reality slows things down for knowledgeable users with a lot of
mail.  pine integrates well with PGP, IMAP, LDAP (for X.500 directory
services), handles accounts on multiple machines effectively, has a nice
address book function that can also be shared using IMAP, and is fairly
easily configured. I have a Debian machine at work that is my main mail
user account and I connect to it from multiple machines (Win and Unix)
from in the plant, at home, and on the road.  I really like the IMAP
functionality.

I started years ago with mh.  Then tried gnus (being an emacs disciple).
Used mutt for a while, then back to gnus.  Then to pine and have been with
it for a couple of years now.  While this is an very individual thing
(almost like vi vs. emacs) I've never used an MUA on Win machines that was
even close to any of these options with the possible exception of Eudora.
So my recommendation would be to punt :).