Re: Help needed with compressed files

Austanners Wet Blue Pty Ltd wrote:

> I wish to load some package files onto a laptop that has no CD-ROM
> drive and is not networked. Some of the .deb files are 2+MB and I can
> compress them using PKZIP,Winzip or rar but can linux unzip from
> spanned floppy disks? Any suggestions?

You can use the DJGPP system (a port of GNU to DOS) (main page in
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/). Mirrors in Australia can be found in:

ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/
ftp://ftp.tas.gov.au/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/

Download from there v2/djdev201.zip: within there you can find the
"split.exe" program for MSDOS, which can be used to split large files
into smaler ones (that can fit into floppy disks).

For more info about how to use the DJGPP system, download and read the
v2/readme.1st file on the mirrors.

--
Conrado Badenas (Assistant Lecturer)
Department of Thermodynamics. University of Valencia