Re: help for a future user

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> Usually I work with FoxPro under DOS but I want my DBFs to be secure.
> Does a FoxPro release for Linux exist?

You can, of course, "host" the dbf files on a linux system, making them
available to windoze users by sharing the relevent directories with Samba.
(Samba is available as a Debian package).

Unfortunately, this may not give you file & record locking at a
satisfactory level if you have both linux and windoze/FoxPro clients
accessing the files at the same time.

I believe that Samba implements these locks sucessfully for the Samba
clients (FoxPro), but you may need un*x/linux programs to implement them
too, in which case you might need to look at SCO Unix - there used to be
a FoxPro for SCO a few years ago.

(FoxPro for SCO might run under Linux to if you are running the iBCS
compatability deb's - does anyone know?)

Perhaps you can get a "personal" version of SCO (someone told me that it
can be obtained without having to pay for it), obtain SCO FoxPro and try
migrating SCO FoxPro to Linux.

David McDonald			telephone: +61-2-9554-0346 (direct)
Systems Support Analyst			   +61-2-9554-0000 (switch)
Security Mailing Services		   04-1237-2284	   (mobile)
6 The Crescent			facsimile: +61-2-9554-0554
P.O. Box 86			email:	   davemac@secmail.com.au
KINGSGROVE  NSW  2208
AUSTRALIA