Re: help for a future user

C.J.LAWSON wrote:
> I wonder about this ... The assumptions are that (1) one has
> co-workers/friends/peers that actually use Linux and (2) that these
> folk are informed and accessible.
> Beyond that, one is left with the question as to whether or not the
> common distribution in use is the right distribution for ones personal
> circumstances (Just imagine what would happen if one wanted to learn linux
> around a bunch of slackware hackers!!). The fact that everyone is using it
> means diddly squat (The unfortunate bulk of the computing populace use
> Winblows)

 You're right.  These were assumptions that may not be true.

> -- The problem with me is that I have too much opinion
> >
> > My advice would be to dip your toe in the water with RedHat, then come
> > to Debian after you've been swimming for a while.
> > You wouldn't want to learn to drive in a Ferrari, right? ;)
> Why not? ... just because it is your first time doesn't mean you shouldn't
> settle for the best of the very best!! Come to debian!! mail your
> questions and querrules to the list... you soon will be answering
> questions yourself... He would be a king, should walk with kings!!

I think I also suffer from opinionitis.

I think everyone should use vi for text editing.
All people must use mutt for their email.
Slrn is by far the best newreader ever.
tcsh is for people without the good sense to use bash.
Three word... chunky peanut butter. ;)

And since I learned on Slackware and Redhat, all people around
the world should do it exactly like I did.  If you don't start
on a distro other than Debian, how are you going to later step up
in the world?

-Mitch