[Jonathan Hankins <jhankins@mailserv.homewood.k12.al.us>] Re: webmin

--- Begin Message ---
Joachim,

Sorry for the direct reply -- I only get the digested debian-user list, so
I couldn't reply to your question. You might pass this info to the list if
anyone else asks about webmin.

I installed it under a Debian 2.0 system and it seems to work fine --
haven't really done much with it yet -- just looked at the user
account editing stuff. The start and stop scripts that go in the webmin
directory could be changed into an /etc/init.d/webmin script if someone
packages it. I imagine it would not make it into main under its current
copyright, which is restricts redistribution of modified versions of the
code. Perhaps if enough people get interested in webmin, the author can be
convinced to release the free version of it under the GPL or something
similar -- haven't read anything from their mailing list or anything, so
I don't know if the author has spoken to this issue or not.

Anyways, it looks like a really nice package, especially since linuxconf's
Debian package is pretty old.

-Jonathan Hankins

Jonathan Hankins	Homewood City Schools

jhankins@mailserv.homewood.k12.al.us