Re: help for a future user

Cristian Carnutu wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I can not decide myself what distribution to install: Debian or RedHat ?
> I subscribed to both lists. The debian list has a traffic 3 times more than
> RedHat.

The number one rule for a first-time user in picking a distribution is...
Use the one that your friends and co-workers use.  Best way to get
good help and feedback.

>  Allmost debian list is about problems of installation.
> Would it be so difficult to install Debian?

My opinion is the RedHat is easier to install than Debian.  Also, it
may be easier to get help with RedHat because it is a more popular
distribution so you have more people in newgroups with similar questions.

Of course, we'll be glad to help on this list if you choose Debian.

> Looking from outside, as I do now, it seems that everybody is working to
> improove debian but no one is working something with debian (except servers,
> I've heard they are very good on Linux).

I think you'll find that a good percentage of Debian users have desktop
machines rather than servers (of course there's nothing stopping you
from having the same machine do both).

Web browsing, email, programming, productivity apps... it's in there.

One of the big strengths of Debian is that once installed, the boxen
are very easy to maintain.  Since this trait is very desirable in servers,
it does make a good server machine.

> Usually I work with FoxPro under DOS but I want my DBFs to be secure. Does a
> FoxPro release for Linux exist?

FoxPro is a Microsoft app, yes?  I don't believe there is a GNU/Linux port.
There are emulation libraries available such as dosemu and wine.
Maybe it would run under these (I don't know).

You can always set your machine up to dual-boot into both DOS and GNU/Linux.
This applies to any of the distributions, whichever you choose.

My advice would be to dip your toe in the water with RedHat, then come
to Debian after you've been swimming for a while.
You wouldn't want to learn to drive in a Ferrari, right? ;)

-Mitch