Re: help for a future user

> I can not decide myself what distribution to install: Debian or RedHat ?
> I subscribed to both lists. The debian list has a traffic 3 times more than
> RedHat.

I would recommend debian. Firstly, all the support is done by these
mailing lists: debian is a community project, not a for-profit
organisation. Secondly, we have a more logical filesystem than RH.
Thirdly, dpkg is IMHO superiour to rpm.

>  Allmost debian list is about problems of installation.
> Would it be so difficult to install Debian?

Not usually: it's just people who install debian successfully don't post
to say "I installed OK". There's enough traffic here already :)

> Looking from outside, as I do now, it seems that everybody is working to
> improove debian but no one is working something with debian (except servers,
> I've heard they are very good on Linux).

How do you mean working something with debian? I have a full-time debian
box here on which I do all my academic work, as well as it being a server
for http, ftp and so on. I have about 15 users too.

HTH,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo