Re: Newbie needs help

stumpy@capital.net wrote:
> Hi all.  I've just recently installed the Debian sytem on an old 386.
> It is the only OS on the computer.  The install worked fine (minus I
> can't boot from the HD).
> I'm having problems with the FTP.  The modem connects fine to my ISP
> (i'm using ppp) but when I try to open a site I get "unable to look up
> host" error.  Also I have no clue how to install the software packages.
> I tried to download to floppy and then transfer over (which is a problem
> since my zip program doesn't do a split)
> and then run DSELECT.  When I choose the floppy access method, it says
> to enter the floppy with the packages file.  I put in the disk that has
> the downloaded file on it but it does not except it.  Any help with
> getting this going would be great.
> The computer is a PC clone 386, 16M Ram, 1.44 and 1.2 disc drives, 500M
> hd, 33.6 modem. No CDROM.  Thanks alot.

hmmm... sounds like you're not resolving names correctly.
You should have been given two numbers from your ISP called
DNS Nameserver (primary and secondary).
Add these numbers to your /etc/resolv.conf file.

The file should look like this

####### /etc/resolv.conf #########
search localdomain
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Where localdomain is the local domainname you gave when you installed
Debian.  The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the number your ISP gave you as your
primary nameserver.  Similarly, the yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the number
the ISP gave you as the secondary nameserver.

See 'man resolv.conf' for more info.

-Mitch