Re: Netscape - Newbie Linux User

> Alright here is my problem.  I have Debian 2.0 installed.  I downloaded
> [navigator-v45-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar] from ftp6.netscape.com.  I
> installed it and everything.  Now when ever I go to the installed dir
> [/usr/local/netscape] and i type ./netscape it gets an error message
> [unable to load library libXpm.so.4].  I then did a search with dselect to
> find the package [xpm4.7] which contains the [libXpm.so.4] lib.  Then i did
> dpkg -i xpm4.7 and it wouldn't install it.  I don't wanna go through with
> dselect because that takes forever!  And apt doesn't work with my cd-rom :(
>   Any suggestions?

What are you using on your machine libc5 or libc6? It is generally not a good idea to mix these. The version of navigator you downloaded was for libc5. If you want to stick with libc6 you should download navigator-v45-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0glibc.tar.gz

The libc6 version of the xpm libraries installs correctly from the hamm cdrom using dselect. What sort of errors messages did you get? These may give a clue as to what went wrong.

Out of interest, how long does dselect take to complete a simple install on your machine?

Regards ...