Debian on Toshiba laptop

I'm using a Toshiba 320CDT laptop, P233 MMX, 4 GB hard disk, one D-Link DE-660 and one Xircom 10/100+56 PCMCIA.  I am new to Linux.

Before I was trying out the slackzip version of Slackware Linux and when I boot it automatically  finds my Xircom card, loads it as "eth0" and assigns the ip address I want.  Now I have Debian Linux and when I boot it finds not the Xircom card but the D-Link card.  I know I can setup a script to add the Xircom settings later on but why is this happening?  How can I or where can I put my script for the second card?  Is it in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts the right choice?

TIA.