Re: sendmail check_mail ruleset

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> Messages from a Debian developer are messing up my combination of
> sendmail and fetchmail.

[snip]

> I would like to get fetchmail to bounce rejected messages properly and
> continue, or else stop sendmail rejecting them.  I cannot see how to do
> either.

It looks like fetchmail is trying to use the Sender: header as the
MAIL FROM: address, but is rewriting it.  Try putting "norewrite" in
your .fetchmailrc.

> Can anyone tell me how, please?
>
> Versions:
>  sendmail        8.9.1-9
>  fetchmail       4.3.9-1

That's an old version of fetchmail.  Make sure you have your current
version as a .deb somewhere, and download the latest version from
unstable.  *Don't* install the libc6 it wants if "dpkg -i" won't
install it - it should be safe (with 4.6.6-2) to install it with "dpkg
-i --force-depends fetchmail_4.6.6-2.deb", since it's not an essential
part of the system, and you can reinstall the older version if it
breaks.  ;-)

(Anyone else reading: bash and libc6 are essential parts of the
system.  Don't use --force-depends unless you really know you won't
ruin your week by doing so.)

In any case, run "fetchmail --verbose" to get a better idea about
what's happening.

(I'm not having any problems with Ole's messages because my ISP
inserts the Return-Path: header, which fetchmail uses first, and which
is the *real* MAIL FROM address.)

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird