sendmail check_mail ruleset

Messages from a Debian developer are messing up my combination of
sendmail and fetchmail.

His Sender field has an empty email address:
  Sender: "Ole J. Tetlie" <>

which sendmail rejects:
  Nov 28 15:10:27 linda sendmail[17997]: PAA17997: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<root>, relay=root@linda.lfix.co.uk [193.195.30.1], reject=553 <root>...   Domain name required

fetchmail sees the failure and aborts the whole session:
  reading message 47 of 62 (1217 header bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP error: 553   <@mail.enterprise.net>... User address required
  fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 <olly>... Domain name required
  fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.enterprise.net

so that mail is blocked until I telnet to the ISP with pop-3 and clear
the offending message by hand.

I would like to get fetchmail to bounce rejected messages properly and
continue, or else stop sendmail rejecting them.  I cannot see how to do
either.

Can anyone tell me how, please?

Versions:
 sendmail        8.9.1-9
 fetchmail       4.3.9-1

     "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
      world, and they that dwell therein."       Psalms 24:1