Re: sendmail check_mail ruleset

olet@ifi.uio.no (Ole J. Tetlie) writes:

> ...or even better; can someone help me fix my headers? I'm using
> exim and gnus. Since I'm not sure which details are pertinent, I'll
> wait with config files and such until requested. Please help, I don't
> want to wreak havoc on the net! :-)

Do you get the same if you send the message with the `mail' command?
e.g. "mail c.evans@clear.net.nz"

What does /var/log/exim/mainlog say about a single message sent from
Gnus?  Have you made any changes to the file generated by eximconfig?

There are two places I think "Sender:" header could be coming from.
Gnus might add one, and I can't see how it would ever not have an "@"
symbol.  What do you get if you put your cursor after the following
line and type `C-x C-e'?

    (concat (user-login-name) "@" (system-name))

What does the Sender: header in any archived mail look like, if you're
using the Gnus message archiving function?

Gnus, by default, uses the "-f" flag on its call to
/usr/sbin/sendmail, and exim might include a Sender: header because of
this.  You can disable this from Customize, or with the second line
below, and often get better results.

    (customize-variable-other-window 'message-sendmail-f-is-evil)
    (setq message-sendmail-f-is-evil t)

If all else fails, you could add the line below to your remote_smtp
transport in /etc/exim.conf and see what happens.

    headers_remove = "sender"

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird