Re: Package Help Please

Hello Stephen,

> I am trying to install packages from a floppy/s using dselect but keep
> getting the messages:
> /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mount/packages/ does not exist
> can any give me some advice on this?

In the dselect main menu, choose "0. Access" and select the "floppy" method.
Then you'll need to "1. Update" to get the Packages file off the floppy.

In general, you need to choose the options in the main menu of dselect in
numerical order from the top... this isn't obvious from the interface.

> or just general advice on installation (x window etc)

When you get to selecting packages, the Enter key confirms the whole list and
exits (yes, press the Enter key to Exit). To select the package you have the
cursor on, you need to press the + key.

The other useful key to know: when you press + on something and it pops up
with suggestions you don't like, press R (upper-case) to get it back to the
way it was before you pressed the +. Then you can either make different
selections, or just press Enter to confirm and return to the main list.

HTH

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>