Re: Can't remote X

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 06:52:11PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Now, for the Thanksgiving weekend, I've traveled 150 miles east (from
> Abilene to Ft Worth) to my folks' house, and am using my Debian laptop on
> my Mom's ISP and trying to telnet back to my Abilene Debian box. However,
> I'm getting an error to the effect that the client is not authorized to
> connect to the Xserver. Is this some sort of default setting in Debian
> that I need to turn off somewhere, or is it some sort of barrier in Mom's
> ISP service, or what?
>
> Any clues as to how I can connect?
>
> PS. I've heard people refer to rlogin and ssh and have kindda gotten the
> impression that these are alternative means of "telnetting" in; maybe this
> relates to my problem?

You need to tell your local X server that the remote X client is
authorised to connect. The simplest way is "xhost +servername", but
that's pretty insecure. The better way is to use xauth to export
your X "magic cookie" to a file, and then import it on to the host at
the other end.

ssh can do some trickery and make your X connection go through the
secure connection. This means (a) your session is encrypted, and (b)
no mucking around with xauth because it does it for you.

Hamish